Sunday, January 12, 2020

What's in a Hebrew name? TB Berachot 7

In today’s daf TB Brachot 7b the Gemara teaches that a person’s Hebrew name determines his/her future.
And Rabbi Yoḥanan said in the name of Rabbi Shimon ben Yoḥai: From the day the Holy One, Blessed be He, created the world, no one thanked the Holy One, Blessed be He, until Leah came and thanked Him, as it is stated: “And she became pregnant and gave birth to a son, and she said, ‘This time I will give thanks to God,’ and thus he was called Judah” (Genesis 29:35).
Tangential to the mention of Leah’s son, Judah, and the reason for his name, the Gemara explains the sources for other names, including Reuben. Rabbi Elazar said: Reuben’s name should be considered a prophecy by Leah, as Leah said: See [re’u] the difference between my son [beni] and the son of my father-in-law, Esau, son of Isaac. Even though Esau knowingly sold his birthright to his brother Jacob, as it is written: “And he sold his birthright to Jacob” (Genesis 25:33), nonetheless, behold what is written about him: “And Esau hated Jacob” (Genesis 27:41). Esau was not only angry over Isaac’s blessing, but he was angry about another matter as well, as it is written: “And he said, ‘Is he not rightly named Jacob, for he has supplanted me twice? He took my birthright, and behold, now he has taken my blessing’” (Genesis 27:36). Despite having sold his birthright, he refused to relinquish it. While my son, Reuben, even though Joseph took his birthright from him by force, as it is written: “And the sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel, for he was the firstborn; but, since he defiled his father’s bed, his birthright was given to the sons of Joseph, son of Israel” (I Chronicles 5:1). Nevertheless, he was not jealous of him, as it is written when Joseph’s brothers sought to kill him: “And Reuben heard and he saved him from their hands, saying ‘Let us not take his life’” (Genesis 37:21).
Continuing on the topic of names, the Gemara asks: What is the meaning of the name Ruth? Rabbi Yoḥanan said: That she had the privilege that David, who inundated the Holy One, Blessed be He, with songs and praises, would descend from her. The name Ruth [Rut] is etymologically similar in Hebrew to the word inundate [riva]. (Translation from Sefaria.com)
One of Rabbi Zev Reichman’s daughter’s teacher taught that in the middle of person’s נשמה,soul, the word שֵם, name, can be found. In other words, your name points to your mission in life.
Perhaps I became a Rabbi because I’m named after a great-grandfather Avraham Attenson who was the most observant member of both sides of my family. And like Avraham Avinu I want to bring people closer to God. My middle Hebrew name is named after my other great-grandfather Asher who owned a bar in Philadelphia. There’s an old Yiddish expression that the bartender loves the drunkard, but not for a son-in-law. Maybe I never developed a taste for hard liquor because my great-grandfather Oscar (Asher) Wolf.
I wonder what destiny your Hebrew name points you toward?

No comments:

Post a Comment