Thursday, January 30, 2020

Look before you walk TB Berachot 27


When my sons attended the Gann Academy, The New Jewish High School in Boston, and I drove the carpool, I would stay and daven with them. The mechitza minyan was held in a room that had a lot of books and magazines. I think it was a library, but I am not sure. When I was done davening, I went to get a book I wanted to read. Without thinking, I walked in front of somebody who wasn’t finished saying his silent Amidah. After services a teacher pulled me aside and reminded me of prayer etiquette. One should not walk in front of another person who is engrossed in his prayers. The source is found in today’s daf TB Berachot 27.

The Gemara relates: Rav happened by the house of the Sage, Geniva, and he prayed the Shabbat prayer on the eve of Shabbat before nightfall. Rabbi Yirmeya bar Abba was praying behind Rav, and Rav finished his prayer but did not take three steps back and interrupt the prayer of Rabbi Yirmeya. Derive from this incident three halakhot: Derive from this that one may pray the Shabbat prayer on the eve of Shabbat before nightfall. And derive from this that a student may pray behind his rabbi. And derive from this that it is prohibited to pass before those who are praying.

The Gemara responds: This supports the opinion of Rabbi Yehoshua ben Levi, as Rabbi Yehoshua ben Levi said: It is prohibited to pass before those who are praying. The Gemara asks: Is that so? Didn’t Rabbi Ami and Rabbi Asi pass before those who were praying? The Gemara responds: Rabbi Ami and Rabbi Asi were beyond four cubits from those who were praying when they passed. (Sefaria.com translation)

Since then I have been scrupulously observing this bit of Jewish etiquette. Those who pay attention to me will see this in action. When I have to go to the other side of the bimah as the Cantor is davening in the center of the bimah by the Torah reading table, you will notice that I never walk in front of him, but always walk behind him to get to the other side.

I encourage you to show a little consideration by not walking in front of somebody davening unless there is a space of 4 amot (6.4 feet) you and the davener. Otherwise, just wait until the davener has finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment