Friday, January 24, 2020

The white rabbit exclaimed, "I'm late, I'm late for very important date"


I’m not the type of person who arrives late to an appointment. I always like to arrive a couple moments early. Even when I was not a rabbi, you could depend upon me being in shul before services begin. The only exception was when I was a student and davened at JTS. I regularly attended morning services at school before breakfast and classes. I never wanted to lead services because I was very self-conscious. Dr. Saul Lieberman, one of the greatest Talmudist in the 20th century, was the Rabbi of the synagogue and he intimidated me. I was afraid to make a reading mistake in front of him. Secondly, I’ve never been known as a great singer. In fact, I say, “When it comes to singing, my congregation pays me hush money!” One day I entered the Seminary’s chapel for morning services five minutes early. To my surprise my friend Ed Friedman was davening at the Amud and was already at Baruch Sheamar because Dr. Lieberman told him to start leading services. At that juncture there were only three people in the shul, Dr. Lieberman, Ed, and me. I realized that if I didn’t want to leave services, I had to make a point of arriving late.

I can set my watch according to the arrival of my congregants. I know who will arrive on time, who will arrive in time for the Torah service, and who will arrive in time for the sermon. Today’s daf TB Berachot 21 discusses what should a person do when he arrives late to the synagogue. If the congregation is reciting the Amidah, should he try to catch up?  There is a machloket, a disagreement between Rabbi Huna and Rabbi Yehoshua ben Levi when a person should wait to start his Amidah.

Rav Huna said: One who did not yet pray and enters a synagogue and found that the congregation is in the midst of reciting the Amida prayer, if he is able to begin and complete his own prayer before the prayer leader reaches the blessing of thanksgiving [modim], he should begin to pray, and, if not, he should not begin to pray. Rabbi Yehoshua ben Levi said: If he is able to begin and complete his prayer before the prayer leader reaches sanctification [kedusha], then he should begin to pray. If not, then he should not begin to pray.

The Gemara clarifies: With regard to what do they disagree? The basis for their dispute is that one Sage, Rav Huna, holds: An individual is permitted to recite kedusha on his own, so he need not insist on reciting it along with the prayer leader; and the other Sage, Rabbi Yehoshua ben Levi, holds that an individual may not recite kedusha alone, and, therefore he is required to complete his prayer before the communal prayer leader reaches kedusha.

After a discussion why we need a minyan to recite the kedusha, the Gemara says And, in any case, everyone agrees that one may not interrupt his prayer in order to respond to kedusha. However, a dilemma was raised before the Sages of the yeshiva: What is the ruling? Is one permitted to interrupt his prayer in order to recite: “May His great name be blessed” in kaddish? When Rav Dimi came from Eretz Yisrael to Babylonia, he said: Rabbi Yehuda and Rabbi Shimon, disciples of Rabbi Yoḥanan, said: One may not interrupt his prayer for anything, except for: “May His great name be blessed,” as even if one was engaged in the exalted study of the Act of the Divine Chariot [Ma’aseh Merkava an early form of mysticism] (see Ezekiel 1) he stops to recite it. However, the Gemara concludes: The halakha is not in accordance with his opinion. (Sefaria.com translation)

So what should you do? According to theShlchan Aruch, Orech Chayim 109:1 the person who enters a synagogue and finds that the community is davening the Amidah, if he can finish his Amidah before the shaliach tzibur, the person leading services, reaches the kedusha, he should daven. If not- he should wait. The law is decided according to Rabbi Yehoshua ben Levi, who was greater than Rabbi Huna. Rabbi Adda bar Ahava teaching and today’s daf also supports Rabbi Yehoshua ben Levi.

Nevertheless if a person arrives later than the kedusha he needs to see whether he will be able to recite Modim, a prayer near the end of the Amidah, with the congregation. If he can’t conclude his prayers before Modim, he should wait to begin his personal prayers until afterwards. Rashi explains the reason why he should wait until after Modim. When the entire congregation is bowing before God with reverence and the individual who came late isn’t bowing, it looks like he is denying God to whom everybody else is reverently bowing.

Speaking on behalf of all rabbis and cantors, try to make every effort to come on time for often we don’t have a minyan at the beginning of services.

No comments:

Post a Comment