Sunday, January 12, 2020

What a fortunate man I am TB Berachot 8


Today I studied TB Berachot daf 8. I can answer the question asked in Eretz Yisrael quickly and truthfully.

In Eretz Yisrael, the custom was that when a man married a woman, they would ask him: Matza or motzeh? In other words, they would ask the groom whether the appropriate passage for his wife is the above verse from Proverbs that begins with the word matza, as it is written: “He who finds a wife finds good and obtains favor from the Lord” or whether the more appropriate verse is the one beginning with the word motzeh, as it is written: “And I find [motzeh] the woman more bitter than death” (Ecclesiastes 7:26). (translation from Sefaria.com)

I can answer honestly “Matza!” Marriying Judy was the smartest thing I have ever done. I owe much of my recovery from my bike accident to her care and support. Just yesturday she sent me in the right dirrection. Thursday my massage theripist noticed that my left eye was bloodshot and wondered outloud whether I had pink eye. That thought troubled me because my newest granddaughter Laylah was coming to my house on Sunday and certainly didn’t want her to catch it.

I told Judy I was going to an urgent care to make sure I didn’t have pink eye and if I did prescribe the appropriate medication. Judy instructed in no uncertain terms to see the eye doctor who performed my cateract surgery. I didn’t think I could get a last minute appointment before Shabbat entered. She was RIGHT again. I was able to seeSA my doctor and he told me my problem wasn’t pink eye but too many ingrown eyelashes. He plucked them and I was good to go!

Matza indeed. I hope that I live in the way she could say the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment