Wednesday, January 15, 2020

The material needs of another are an obligation of my spiritual life TB Berachot 12


I’m always astounded how all my learnings are interconnected. My background in Jewish texts was not extensive so I worked hard to make up for my deficiencies. Ever since I was a freshman in college, I would study something in hevruta (with a study partner) that had nothing to do with my courses. Nevertheless, constantly whatever I studied on my own was referenced or connected to what I had studied for my classes. Today was no exception as a studied TB Berachot 12. I learned from Rabba bar Hinnana Sava that we have a responsibility towards others whether we know them or not or whether we like them or not.

“And Rabba bar Ḥinnana Sava said in the name of Rav: Anyone who can ask for mercy on behalf of another, and does not ask is called a sinner, as it is stated following Samuel’s rebuke of the people (for wanting a king and not trusting in God): “As for me, far be it from me that I should transgress against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you, but I will teach you the good and the right way” (I Samuel 12:23). Had Samuel refrained from prayer, he would have committed a sin.” (Sefaria.com translation)

Just last night as I was reading on the train back home to Queens the book Everyday Holiness: the Jewish Spiritual Path of Mussar by Alan Morinis, I studied the chapter on the soul-trait of Achriyut/Responsibility. There are two possible derivations of the Hebrew word Achriyut. One possible root of the word that helps us understand responsibility is acher or English “other.” Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv, the Alter of Kelm, understood responsibility lies in “bearing the burdens of others.” He wrote:

“Our sages taught: one of the methods of which the Torah is required is by caring the burden of our fellow (neighbor)…(Morinis continues ) Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv aims deeper within us, however, taking as his working premise that life is about developing the qualities of the soul. In his view, bearing the burden of the other becomes not just good social behavior but the central practice he taught to bring about a profound realization of the soul’s destiny. In acts of caring for the other, he saw one focus that encompasses all others in a route to the development of both mind and heart…Simcha Zissel Ziv teacher was Rabbi Yisrael Salanter, and Rabbi Salanter provides us with a succinct statement to remind us how to work we do for others feeds the soul: ‘spiritual needs are more elevated the material needs,’ he said ‘But the material needs of another are an obligation of my spiritual life.’” (Page 203- 5)

Too often our own ego keeps our focus on ourselves. Either we don’t see the needs of others or rationalize why we shouldn’t get involved. How many times have we been asked by beggars and just averted our eyes. How many times have we seen strangers struggling and just walked on by? How many people need our prayers and our hearts remained closed? As far as I know Judaism’s spiritual path teaches that we have to be intimately involved in the lives of others and not separate ourselves from them.

Looking back on my train ride and my journey throughout the Upper East Side of New York City seeing all the possible opportunities of bearing the burdens of others and I remained indifferent, I have some serious Acriyut work to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment