Friday, January 17, 2020

Rabbi Yehudah coming to my rescue


Today’s daf TB Berachot 14 resolves a problem I have in the synagogue. Instead of sitting on the bimah throughout the entire service, I choose to sit right by the door to the sanctuary through the fifth Aliyah to the Torah. (I ascend the bimah before the sixth aliyah in order to lead the prayer for the ill.) I changed my seat because I want to collapse the distance between me and my congregants, greet them warmly, and tell them where we are in the service, and on what page we’re on in the siddur or Humash, the prayer book or the Pentateuch.

According to halachah there are times when we shouldn’t interrupt the performance of the mitzvah or a prayer. This interruption is called a “hefsek” in Hebrew. For example, if one says the blessing over bread, he/she needs to take a bite of the bread before doing anything else. When we daven there shouldn’t be hefsek from Barachu through the Amidah. How can I act as an usher and greet people, if I’m not allowed to have an interruption in my own davening.

“The Gemara remarks: This version of the dispute was also taught in a baraita: One who is reciting Shema and happens upon his teacher or one who is greater than he, at the breaks between the paragraphs he may greet him due to respect and, needless to say, he may respond. And in the middle of each paragraph, he may greet another due to fear and, needless to say, he may respond. This is the statement of Rabbi Meir. Rabbi Yehuda says: In the middle of each paragraph one may greet due to fear and respond due to respect. And in the breaks between the paragraphs one may greet due to respect and respond with a greeting to any person. The proposed additions to the mishna appear in the version of the dispute cited in the baraita.” (Sefaria.com translation)

I have answer my answer to my dilemma. I can honestly say that I respect everybody who comes to my synagogue because I can learn something from him/her no matter who he/she is and what his/her background is. Basing myself upon Rabbi  Yehudah view, if you come to shul this Shabbat or any Shabbat I shall be happy greet you in between the paragraphs and help you in any way and how much more so if you beat me to the punch and greet me first!


No comments:

Post a Comment