Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Reminders for life worthy of living


What is the purpose of prayer? Rabbi Lawrence Hoffman teaches us, “Perhaps first and foremost, prayer is a delivery system for committing us to the great ideas that make life worth living, because ideas that are ritually construed empower us to do what we would otherwise never have the courage to do. Prayer moves us to see our lives more clearly against the backdrop of eternity, concentrating our attention on verities that we would otherwise forget. Imparts Judaism’s canon of great concepts and moves us to live our lives by them.” (The Way Into Jewish Prayer, page 104)

Today’s daf TB Berachot 60 provides us with numerous blessings that do exactly what Rabbi Hoffman describes. “As I said, is when we wake up each morning, especially, that we rediscover how very much embodied we are-just like other creatures on this planet. But even then, we prove ourselves most distinctly human and that we are able to marvel at the ministry just of waking to life. The Talmud provides a series of blessings celebrating what might easily be taken for granted.” (Ibid., page 117)

“Upon hearing the sound of the rooster, one should recite: Blessed…Who gave the heart [sekhvi] understanding to distinguish between day and night.
Upon opening his eyes, one should recite: Blessed…Who gives sight to the blind.
Upon sitting up straight, one should recite: Blessed…Who sets captives free.
Upon dressing, one should recite: Blessed…Who clothes the naked, as they would sleep unclothed.
Upon standing up straight, one should recite: Blessed…Who raises those bowed down.
Upon descending from one’s bed to the ground, one should recite: Blessed…Who spreads the earth above the waters, in thanksgiving for the creation of solid ground upon which to walk.
Upon walking, one should recite: Blessed…Who makes firm the steps of man.
Upon putting on his shoes, one should recite: Blessed…Who has provided me with all I need, as shoes are a basic necessity.
Upon putting on his belt, one should recite: Blessed…Who girds Israel with strength.
Upon spreading a shawl upon his head, one should recite: Blessed…Who crowns Israel with glory.” (Sefaria.com translation) 

These blessings have been moved to our prayer book at the very beginning of the morning service so that all may say them without fear of leaving any out or not knowing them by heart.

Our prayers remind us of our aspirations how we should live our life. Although the Gemara says we say the following prayer after we wash her face, it too has been moved to the prayer book.

 “Upon washing his face, one recites: Blessed…Who removes the bands of sleep from my eyes and slumber from my eyelids.
And may it be Your will, O Lord my God, to accustom me in Your Torah,
attach me to Your mitzvot, and lead me not into transgression,
nor into error, nor into iniquity, nor into temptation nor into disgrace.
Bend my evil inclination to be subservient to You,
and distance me from an evil person and an evil acquaintance.
Help me attach myself to the good inclination and to a good friend in Your world.
Grant me, today and every day, grace, loving-kindness, and compassion in Your eyes and the eyes of all who see me,
and bestow loving-kindness upon me.
Blessed are You, O Lord, Who bestows loving-kindness on His people, Israel.” (Sefaria.org translation)

Our bodies are miraculously made that everything works as part of our autonomous nervous system. Our lungs breathe in and out air; our hearts pump blood, and kidneys remove waste without us having to think about actualizing them. We take all this for granted. Only when they stop working do we appreciate our body. There is a prayer that we say after relieving ourselves in the bathroom that reminds us how wonderfully constructed our bodies are. I believe that this prayer not only reminds us to be grateful for our bodies, but also reminds to take care of our bodies by living a healthy lifestyle.

Upon exiting (the bathroom), one says:
Blessed…Who formed man in wisdom,
and created in him many orifices and cavities.
It is revealed and known before the throne of Your glory
that were one of them to be ruptured or blocked, it would be impossible to survive and stand before You. When one awakens, he recites:
My God, the soul You have placed within me is pure.
You formed it within me,
You breathed it into me,
and You guard it while it is within me.
One day You will take it from me and restore it within me in the time to come.
As long as the soul is within me, I thank You,
O Lord my God and God of my ancestors, Master of all worlds, Lord of all souls.
Blessed are You, O Lord, who restores souls to lifeless bodies. (Sefaria.org translation)

Finally our prayers remind us that we are more than just animals. We are created in God’s image because He has breathed into us our soul. Breath (נשימה) and soul (נשמה) share the same Hebrew root נשמ. That soul is pure and can never be corrupted. It is our link to the Holy One Blessed be He. No matter how far we stray from God and no matter how far we stray from the righteous path of living, our soul calls us back and assures us that we can return from our evil ways. We begin each morning with this affirmation as well.

When one awakens, he recites:
My God, the soul You have placed within me is pure.
You formed it within me,
You breathed it into me,
and You guard it while it is within me.
One day You will take it from me and restore it within me in the time to come.
As long as the soul is within me, I thank You,
O Lord my God and God of my ancestors, Master of all worlds, Lord of all souls.
Blessed are You, O Lord, who restores souls to lifeless bodies.” (Sefaria.org translation)

All those are daily reminders worth striving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment