Sunday, August 30, 2020

Where shall I go? TB Eruvin 21

Remember when your parents instructed you to choose your friends wisely. The friends we choose exert a great influence upon us for good or for bad, God forbid. Today’s daf TB Eruvin 21 expresses the same idea homiletically.

“The Gemara cites additional teachings that Rava interpreted homiletically: What is the meaning of that which is written: “Come, my beloved, let us go forth into the field; let us lodge in the villages. Let us get up early to the vineyards; let us see if the vine has flowered, if the grape blossoms have opened, if the pomegranates are in flower; there will I give you my loves” (Song of Songs 7:12–13)? 

With regard to the words: “Come, my beloved, let us go forth into the field,” the Congregation of Israel said before the Holy One, Blessed be He: Master of the Universe, do not judge me like those who reside in large cities where there is robbery and licentiousness, and vain oaths and false oaths, but rather: “Let us go forth into the field,” come and I will show You Torah scholars who work the land but nonetheless engage in Torah study, in poverty and in distress…

“Let us get up early to the vineyards,” these are the synagogues and houses of study. “Let us see if the vine has flowered,” these are the masters of Bible, who are proficient in the first stage of Torah study. “If the grape blossoms have opened,” these are the masters of Mishna. “If the pomegranates are in flower,” these are the masters of Gemara. “There will I give you my loves,” means I will show You my glory and my greatness, the praise of my sons and daughters, how they adhere to sanctity.” (Sefaria.org translation)

We should avoid people who lead us into robbery, licentiousness, and lying. Where’s a good place to find the type of people our parents want us to associate with? We should frequent synagogues and houses of study to deepen our understanding of what God desires from us. There we will find like-minded people striving to be the best they can be. Study something you enjoy and can master, whether it’s the Bible, Mishna, or Talmud. Don’t be discouraged if more complicated and difficult studies are beyond your ability. All God wants from us is to reach our potential.

Today’s daf also teaches us that King Solomon instituted the ordinances of washing one’s hands before eating bread and of eruv of courtyards.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment