Tuesday, December 13, 2022

What a hangover! TB Nedarim 49

Here is a famous Passover gem found on today’s daf TB Nedarim 49. It’s a mitzvah to drink 4 cups of wine at the Seder. Unfortunately for Rabbi Yehuda grape juice was unknown in his day. He could have avoided a 50 day hangover if he had only drank grape juice.

A certain gentile lady [matronita] said to Rabbi Yehuda, whose face was ruddy: How can one teach the Jews and be a drunk at the same time? He said to her: I place my integrity in the hands of this woman and should no longer be deemed credible if I ever taste any wine except for that of kiddush, havdala, and the four cups of Passover. And after I drink those four cups I tie my temples from Passover to Shavuot, as wine gives me a headache. Rather, my complexion is explained by the verse “A man’s wisdom makes his face to shine” (Ecclesiastes 8:1).” (Nedarim 49b, Sefaria.org translation)

I’ll leave how you use this around your Seder up to you.

 

Rabbi Yehudah [b. Il'ai]

Tannaim - Fifth Generationתנאים - דור חמישי

c.135 - c.170 CE 135 - 170 לספירה בקירוב

R. Yehudah was one of the most prolific scholars of the Mishnaic period, cited almost 3,000 times in Tannaitic literature. He had several teachers but was likely closest to R. Tarfon. Due to his conciliatory attitude towards the Romans, they decreed that he speak first at rabbinic convocations.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment