Thursday, November 11, 2021

Passing the cranberry test #parashathashavua #Vayetze

 Cranberries are one of the three indigenous berries found in North America. They are planted in bogs. When you visit Plymouth, Massachusetts to sightsee all the historical sites, make sure you also stop by the Ocean Spray factory and take their tour. It is fun and educational. The couple of times I toured the plant, I learned a lot and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Did you know that with cranberries, it’s the bounce that counts? The processing of cranberries involves pouring freshly picked berries down a series of step-like boards. At each level, only those berries that bounce over an 8 to 10 inch barrier pass the test. Each berry gets 11 chances in all. Those that fail are discarded. While some fruits are judged by firmness and color, the cranberry is distinguished by its ability to “bounce like a golf ball.”

The strength of our faith can also be recognized by our ability to bounce back after a fall. Although a setback may hurt, it’s an occasion to show confidence that God hasn’t abandoned you. After living with and working for his father-in-law Laban for 20 years, Jacob felt he needed to flee for his life and go back home to Canaan. Naturally, Laban chased after him. When he caught up with Jacob, Jacob complained how hard his life was. “These 20 years I have spent in your service, your ewes and she-goats never miscarried, nor did I feast on rams from your flock. That which was torn by beasts I never brought to you; I myself made good the loss; you exacted it of me, whether snatched by day or snatched by night. Often, scorching heat ravaged me by day and frost by night; and sleep fled from my eyes. Of the 20 years that I spent in your household, I served you 14 years for your 2 daughters, and 6 years for your flocks; and you changed my wages time and again. Had not the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, been with me, you would have sent me way empty-handed. But God took notice of my plight and the toil of my hands… (my emphasis)” (Genesis 31:38-42Notice how Jacob’s life had its ups and downs. Just because he was one of our patriarchs, he didn’t not have an easy life.

Jacob’s life experience can encourage us for aren’t we the B'nai Yisrael (Jacob’s other name) and his direct descendants? We believe that just as God was with Jacob during his ups and downs, the Holy One will be with us as well even after a hard fall. Don’t let a spiritual reversal cause you to give up. It’s the “bounce” of your faith and God’s everlasting love for you that is all important.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment