Thursday, November 18, 2021

One the most beautiful blessings you can bless somebody TB Taanit 6

Almost all of TB Taanit 5b relates a conversation between Naḥman and Rabbi Yitzḥak. After the meal Rav Naḥman and Rabbi Yitzḥak parted ways. Rav Naḥman asked Rabbi Yitzḥak for blessing. One the most beautiful blessings you can bless somebody concludes on today’s daf TB Taanit 6.

“The Gemara relates: When they were taking leave of one another, Rav Naḥman said to Rabbi Yitzḥak: Master, give me a blessing. Rabbi Yitzḥak said to him: I will tell you a parable. To what is this matter comparable? It is comparable to one who was walking through a desert and who was hungry, tired, and thirsty. And he found a tree whose fruits were sweet and whose shade was pleasant, and a stream of water flowed beneath it. He ate from the fruits of the tree, drank from the water in the stream, and sat in the shade of the tree.

“And when he wished to leave, he said: Tree, tree, with what shall I bless you? If I say to you that your fruits should be sweet, your fruits are already sweet; if I say that your shade should be pleasant, your shade is already pleasant; if I say that a stream of water should flow beneath you, a stream of water already flows beneath you. Rather, I will bless you as follows: May it be God’s will that all saplings which they plant from you be like you. So it is with you. With what shall I bless you? If I bless you with Torah, you already have Torah; if I bless you with wealth, you already have wealth; if I bless you with children, you already have children. Rather, may it be God’s will that your offspring shall be like you.” (Sefaria.org translation)

I have blessed worthy the brides and grooms underneath this huppah with this blessing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment