Wednesday, April 1, 2020

What was the purpose of the 10 plagues?


Rav Kook taught that one might think that the sole function of the 10 plagues was to rescue the Israelites of that generation from persecution and slavery. In fact, the true goal of the miracles that occurred in Egypt goes far beyond the needs of that time. These great acts were meant to leave a lasting impact, forming an internal inheritance-a memory that will be engraved in the minds of all future generations. The purpose of the miracle the 10 plagues is achieved when each generation preserves these collective memories, transmitting them to the next generation. Just as the plagues were meant to instill faith in the Israelite slaves, retelling the story each year at the seder is intended to once again instill faith within each person and the Jewish people as a whole. (The Night That Unites Haggadah, page 143)

I believe the faith that Rav Kook is describing is called Bitachon. “Bitachon means trust. The Chovos HaLevavos defines bitachon as relying on Hashem, trusting Hashem. It is a sense of depending on Him to watch over and protect me. Hashem (God) is kind, loving and merciful. Hashem created me in order to give to me. And Hashem wants what is for my best. While I am responsible to be proactive, I am not in charge of the outcome, and I am not the determinant of the results. That is Hashem’s role. And so, while I do my part, I rely on Hashem to care for me. I take my heavy burden and place it on Hashem.” (https://www.ou.org/life/inspiration/difference-emunah-bitachon)

The coronavirus has turned our world upside down. Bitachon in God can help us face our fears and anxieties fearlessly. Bitachon does not take the place of action and doing what is right, but encourages us to stay safe like washing our hands frequently, self-sheltering ourselves in place, and all the other preventative measures and the belief that God will take care of the rest. With bitachon we can sing on the first two days these verses that come at the end of the Seder after the mail from Hallel wholeheartedly:

 יִ֭שְׂרָאֵל בְּטַ֣ח בַּיהֹוָ֑ה עֶזְרָ֖ם וּמָגִנָּ֣ם הֽוּא: י בֵּ֣ית אַֽ֭הֲרֹן בִּטְח֣וּ בַיהֹוָ֑ה עֶזְרָ֖ם וּמָגִנָּ֣ם הֽוּא: יא יִרְאֵ֣י יְ֭הֹוָה בִּטְח֣וּ בַיהֹוָ֑ה עֶזְרָ֖ם וּמָגִנָּ֣ם הֽוּא: “Israel, trust in the Lord-He is their help and their shield. House of Aaron, trust in the Lord-He is their help their shield. You fear the Lord, trust in the Lord-He is their help and their shield.” (Psalm 115:9-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment