Saturday, January 8, 2022

What is the secret of length of years? TB Megillah 27

 I read about a journalist who went to a Jewish nursing home to interview a man who reached his 100th birthday. He asked the old man what was the secret of his longevity. The old man said, "I follow this regimen every day. Early to bed early to rise. In the morning I put on my tefillin and after I daven my morning prayers, I drink a shot of schnapps." The journalist said, “That's very interesting. I had an uncle who did the exact same thing. Every day he went to bed early and got up early. After he davened, he drank a shot of schnapps. But he only lived to be 72 years old. What do you attribute the difference between you and him.” The old man just look at the journalist and said, "He just didn't do it long enough."  

Who doesn't want to live a long life? As the world was ready to celebrate Betty White's100th birthday, she shared her secret of longevity. "I don't eat anything green." Although she did not make her 100th according to the secular calendar, I read that she turned 100 in the Hebrew calendar! But please don't put too much stock in her advice. I think diet, exercise, proper nutrition, and good habits increase our odds of living longer. On today's daf TB Megillah 27 students ask several rabbis to what they attribute to their longevity.

The Gemara cites a series of Sages who explained the reasons they were blessed with longevity and provides a mnemonic device, indicating the order in which the Sages are cited: Zayin, lamed, peh, nun. Zayin for Rabbi Zakkai; lamed for Rabbi Elazar; peh for Rabbi Perida; nun for Rabbi Neḥunya.

"The Gemara presents the first incident: Rabbi Zakkai was once asked by his disciples: In the merit of which virtue were you blessed with longevity? He said to them: In all my days, I never urinated within four cubits of a place that had been used for prayer. Nor did I ever call my fellow by a nickname. And I never neglected the mitzva of sanctifying the day of Shabbat over wine...

The Gemara discusses the second occasion where a Sage explained his longevity: Rabbi Elazar ben Shammua was once asked by his disciples: In the merit of which virtue were you blessed with longevity? He said to them: In all my days, I never made a shortcut through a synagogue. Nor did I ever stride over the heads of the sacred people, i.e., I never stepped over people sitting in the study hall in order to reach my place, so as not to appear scornful of them. And I never raised my hands in the Priestly Benediction without reciting a blessing beforehand.

"On the third occasion, Rabbi Perida was once asked by his disciples: In the merit of which virtue were you blessed with longevity? He said to them: In all my days, no person ever arrived before me to the study hall, as I was always the first to arrive. And I never recited Grace after Meals in the presence of a priest, but rather I gave him the privilege to lead. And I never ate from an animal whose priestly portions, i.e., the foreleg, the jaw, and the maw, had not already been set aside...

The Gemara considers another of Rabbi Perida’s actions: He said: And I never blessed Grace after Meals in the presence of a priest, but rather I gave him the privilege to lead. ” (Sefaria.org translation)

I think the spiritual health of the soul is the common denominator for all these praiseworthy actions by these rabbis. They were not only concerned about their physical well-being, but also the well-being of their soul. The vast majority of the examples deal with the rabbi's relationships with other people. They treated other people with the utmost respect in all their interactions whether on the street, in the study hall, or  around the dining room table. They fed their soul a steady diet of Torah study, mitzvot, and righteous behavior . A healthy body needs a healthy soul and a healthy soul needs a healthy body. נפש בריאה בגוף בריא.




No comments:

Post a Comment