Thursday, October 14, 2021

Using my feet to honor my Creator parashat Lekh Lekha 5782

 

Lekh Lekha

Genesis 12:1-17:27

In this week’s Torah portion, Abraham begins a journey, most probably on foot, from his home town which ultimately would change the world forever.  “The Lord said to Abram, ‘Go forth from your native land and from your father’s house to the land that I shall show you.  I will make you a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great…Abram went forth as the Lord had commanded him…Abram was 75 years old when he left Haran. (Gen. 12:1-4) 

Back in 1983 at age 16, an English girl began an 11 year trek around the world-on foot!  Why did she do it?  She said, “I had to discover myself.”  In case you think you couldn’t or wouldn’t undertake such a journey, a podiatrist in Washington, D.C., informs us that we already have.  He claims that the average person’s feet travel more than four times the earth’s circumference in a life time. 

That is a lot of walking!  But where are our feet taking us, and why?  The rabbis taught in the Tosefta (mishnahs that were not included in the Talmud were collected in a book called the Tosefta), “One should use one’s face, hands, and feet only to honor one’s Creator.” (Tosefta Barachot 4:1)

I was hoping to put this learning from the Tosefta into practice this week by hiking in Israel raising money supporting Camp Ramah’s special needs campers. But the Covid 19 epidemic postponed my trip. I’m happy to announce that it has just been rescheduled for the middle of May 2022. Having worked at Camp for over a dozen years, I know firsthand what invaluable experience camp special needs’ program for campers.  Some of my best experiences at camp were teaching and davening with the Tikvah and Tokhnit Avodah campers. I would like to ask for your support for this wonderful cause and make a donation to my fundraising page. I only need $800 more to reach my new goal of $6000.

Donating through this website Support Gary Greene is fast, easy, and totally secure.  It is also the most efficient way to support my fundraising efforts.  If you wish, you may also send me a check made out to the National Ramah Commission with a notation of your support of my fundraising efforts and mail it to National Ramah Commission, 38 Broadway, New York, NY 10027.
 
Please share my page with any of your friends and family who may be inspired to donate as well.  If you have already made a donation, I want to thank you so very much for your support.

I know where my feet will be going. Where will your feet be going today?  How will your feet bring honor to the Holy One?  Be an Abraham and Sarah and make a difference in our world.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Gary Greene


No comments:

Post a Comment