Wednesday, June 9, 2021

I hate when that happens to me TB Yoma 59

On today’s daf TB Yoma 59 Rabbi Meir and Rabbi Yehuda, two later tanna-im disagreed what Rabbi Eliezer meant in the Mishna when he said: “ He stood in one place and sprinkled the blood from there. Rabbi Meir says that Rabbi Eliezer says as follows: He stood in one place and sprinkled, and on all of the corners he presented the blood from above downward, except for that corner on the diagonal [alakhson] across from him. Since it was difficult for him to sprinkle on that corner from top to bottom, he sprinkled from below upward.

“Conversely, Rabbi Yehuda says that Rabbi Eliezer says: He stood in one place and sprinkled, and on all of the corners he sprinkled from below upward, as it is more convenient to sprinkle in that manner, except for that one which was directly before him, on which he would present from above downward. The reason is so as not to dirty his garments with blood. If he sprinkled on the corner next to him from below upward, the blood might fall on his clothes, and he would have to change garments, as dirty priestly garments may not be worn for the Temple service.” (Sefaria.org translation) Remember during this part of the Yom Kippur service the High Priest wore white linen clothing which are easily dirtied especially with bloodstains.

The Mishnah does align with Rabbi Yehuda’s position and that makes sense to me from my own experience. I hate when I dirty my clean and pressed Shabbat shirt at the dinner table when I accidentally dribble something on it because I can’t wear the shirt again until I wash it. I berate myself for not being more careful when I eat. How much more so should the High priest sprinkle carefully to prevent accidents when his sprinkling the blood on the corners of the Golden Altar.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment