Sunday, February 27, 2011

I am priceless!

Judy and I came back from our vacation to New Orleans this past Thursday night.  We had a fun time visiting all the sites and listening to all the live music.  As you can well imagine if America is the Treifa Medinah then New Orleans has to be its capital. There is not one vegetarian restaurant in all of N.O! The kosher restaurant was too far away and we didn't have a car.

Although there is a Jewish community in N.O. (when we took the Canal St. trolley, we passed two shuls and a JCC), N.O. is a very Christian city.  Sections are known as parishes.  Even their football team is called "The Saints." So when we passed the only shop that had any Judaica on Canal St., we had to go in.  In the window there were Silver Shabbat Candle Sticks and a Keter (crown) for a miniature Torah.  Judy checked out the price of the candlesticks and they were asking for $1500.00 dollars!  For that price we wanted to know what was its history.  A young saleswoman told us that it dates back to Israel in the 1950s and is an antique.

I just looked at her and said, "I was born in the early 50's, that must make me an antique too!"  She was so flabbergasted with that remark that couldn't retort back. Besides being created in God's image, I am also priceless because I'm an antique.  No wonder nobody carded me to get into a N.O.'s bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment